People consume foods and beverages on a daily basis – it’s necessary for survival. But, what most people are not aware of is that many of the foods and beverages we consume can actually stain and change the color of your teeth. Oral health is important for your overall well-being and it all starts with what you eat. Continue reading to learn more about foods and drinks that can stain your teeth as well as tips that can help lessen how.
5 Foods & Drinks That Stain Teeth
There are certain foods and drinks that can discolor and stain your teeth. The intensely colored ones tend to be the biggest offenders.
1. Wine – tannins that are in wine cause color to stick to teeth
2. Coffee – high acidity and dark color coffee will easily latch onto your teeth
3. Berries – dark skins of berries stain teeth
4. Tomato sauce – high levels of acidity and bright red color of tomato sauce can stain teeth
5. Sodas – high acidity of all sodas, light and dark, can cause significant discoloration and staining
These are just a few of the foods and drinks that stain your teeth. Trying to figure out what other foods can possibly stain your teeth? Just think of it this way, if you are worried about that food or drink staining your white tablecloth, those are the ones that’ll probably stain your teeth too.
How To Lessen The Chances Of Foods & Drinks Staining Your Teeth
Sometimes teeth staining foods and drinks are unavoidable. So, to minimize the chances of discoloration, store a tooth brush at your desk or in your purse and brush after every meal and multiple times throughout the day can help do this, especially if you consume a number of foods that have the ability to stain your teeth. Brushing and flossing are essential to helping our teeth stay pearly white and it is important to see your dentist at least twice a year for your annual cleaning and check up. Other tips to consider and adopt are:
• Use a straw when drinking sodas or ices coffees and teas.
• Don’t leave stain causing foods in your mouth for too long, swallow quickly.
• Rinse with a sip of water in between and after drinking teeth staining beverages.
Contact Dental Associates Of Delaware For Teeth Whitening
Over time your teeth will get discolored. Fortunately, at Dental Associates Of Delaware, we offer dental services at our offices in Brandywine, Hockessin, Middletown, Newark, Wilmington, Millsboro, and Pediatric office in Newark, DE. We offer family dentistry and cosmetic dentistry, which includes teeth whitening and more. If you believe your teeth are too stained and would like a jump start to white teeth, contact any of our seven locations! We are happy to help find a solution for you!